5.21.2006

What a month!

Wow. We are usually busy people, but who knew you could pack so much into one month? Feeling my water break pushed the throttle called life full-on like I've never experienced. And into very uncharted territory for us. I remember the days in the hospital when I'd call the nurse too often for her to have any patience left for me. I had tons of random questions as I tried to cram in every ounce of know-how before we somehow were given full responsibility for this beautiful little life. How I miss that call button, but Dami is teaching us well. One month in-- Damiana supposedly means 'one who soothes'. We didn't pick the name because of its meaning, but it suits our little girl. She is an oasis of calm. (Usually. After all, she's also a baby which by definition means she spends enough waking hours in the anything-but-calm state.) Her big almost-brown eyes track a bit. Her grunts and groans entertain us. Smiles flicker across her face, leaving the audience wanting more. Month #2 will bring even more surprises. Maybe by the end we'll have a few ideas of what we're doing. Hopefully we'll continue to humor her and she'll keep us around.